Your health is your greatest gift—no matter how cheesy that sounds, it’s absolutely true. Without your health, nothing else matters. Toxic mold is a serious health problem that can rob you of your physical strength and leave you wracked with physical illness. Find out if toxic mold is a problem you need to be worrying about.
An Overview of Toxic Mold
Air pollutants are a fact of life in today’s world. However, some are worse than others. Water damage that occurs in buildings can create the perfect environment for mold to grow and thrive, while mycotoxins in the air may trigger a myriad of health issues.
Common types of mold found in today’s homes include Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium. Stachybotrys chartarum is what people often mean when they refer to toxic mold or black mold. Typically, this type of mold is caused by exposure to water or buildup of water on surfaces like particleboard, paper, and wood.
How It Affects Your Health
When mold is inhaled into the lungs, it leaves its mark on your body in a variety of ways. Mycotoxins are produced by mold, and many of them can be measured in your urine, saliva, or stool.
Mold exposure can cause health problems that baffle doctors and experts, as they seem to have little in common. On the mild end, you may see inflammation and an uptick in allergies. On the more serious end of the scale, you may experience asthma, oxidative stress, and immune problems.
There are several symptoms you can look for as you try to figure out whether or not you’ve been exposed to toxic mold. If you suspect you may be a mold victim, look for these symptoms:
- joint pain and stiffness
- difficulty with concentration and memory
- physical fatigue and weakness
- difficulty breathing or sinus issues
- tingling or numbness in the skin
- light sensitivity
What to Do
If you find out that you have a mold sensitivity or that you have been exposed to toxic mold, there are several things you can do to turn your health around and start getting better.
First, you absolutely must get out of the environment where the mold lives. Whether that means getting out of your house or staying out of your work building, you cannot sacrifice your health. Have the building professionally cleaned by an expert in toxic mold to protect yourself from re-exposure.
Use binders like clay and charcoal in your body to pull out toxins and get them out of your body via your stool. Most health stores have clay and charcoal you can use for this purpose.
Balance out your body and detox with probiotics, magnesium, and detoxifying vitamins to return your body to a normal state.
When you return to the site of your mold exposure, install a high-quality air filter. If mold does return to your home, at least you can filter it out of the air you breathe.
Toxic mold can be extremely dangerous, so it’s important to handle this problem as quickly as possible. If you have chronic health problems, find out if mold is the culprit.